Thinking about remodeling your home or just a room? Here are a few tips to follow when starting a remodel of any kind.
- Start with your budget.
2. Next prioritize your want list. A simple 1-100 will do.
3. Determine how your budget and priorities mesh. You may be able to get everything, you may not. But having these things in place will help you with the decision making process.
4. Hire an interior designer to help you ensure that everything you love harmonizes in your space. They will simplify your options (wall color, trim profile, trim color, door hardware, cabinet hardware, electrical plan, and the list goes on). The little things make all the difference in the finished product!!
5. With big projects (more than a couple rooms) hire someone to manage the project for you. Professionals have relationships with sub contractors which will save you time and money. Choose wisely. Make sure you trust them to accomplish your vision.
6. Focus on what’s important to you as the homeowner. Things can get crazy during a remodel. Opening a wall can turn into moving plumbing, electrical, or even restructuring/engineering time/costs. You may find that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. So if you want to freshen up your 1st floor, focus on that. Paint, trim, cabinetry, etc. The icing on the cake, so to speak, may be opening the space.
7. When working on old homes with trim that you like and would like to keep; be sure to save what you can. Most manufacturers have changed profiles, even homes built in the 80’s, making matching your existing trim profile difficult/impossible or at there very least way more costly than you imagined/budgeted.
8. Choose quality finishes. Choose products that you like now (and hopefully in the near future). And, always choose quality products!!! You don’t have to buy the most expensive materials, but the cheapest is usually cheap for a reason.
Don’t forget to enjoy the process. Let’s be honest, living in a construction zone, may not be ideal. It will be messy. It will be loud. It will be stinky. But all your hard work is paying off in the space you’ve always dreamed of. Take a deep breath. It will get done. It will be beautiful.
Ellecor Design and Gifts